Emergency Child Birth
A situation where the expecting mother is away from medical facilities and the baby is on its way.
Being away from medical facilities is the most common cause for this situation. Also, not having transportation.
If the mother says, “the baby is coming,” or the baby’s head is showing, or the contractions are less than two minutes apart, then it is time to deliver the baby on the spot.
- Make sure the EMS has been called.
- Make the mother comfortable on her back. Remove any necessary clothing but keep her covered to protect her privacy. Put some clean towels under her.
- As a rescuer all you have to do is support the baby as it comes out. Hold the head as it is heavy compared to the rest of the baby
- As soon as you can see the baby’s throat make sure the umbilical cord is not wrapped around it. If it is use your finger to loosen it and pass it over the head. This is easy to do
- Once the baby comes out wrap it in a clean towel
- Clean its mouth and nose
- If it is not breathing massage its back and tickly its feet. This should help stimulate the breathing mechanism
- If it is still not breathing begin rescue breathing and CPR
- Never hold the baby upside down and slap it. This is a TV thing, and if you should drop the baby you’ll be in trouble
- If the baby is fine give it to the mother to hold
- The other end of the umbilical cord will be attached to the placenta which will still be inside the mother. Do not pull, it will come out on its own in a few minutes in another set of contractions
- Do not cut the cord. Simply wrap the placenta in a towel and keep with the baby
- Never put the placenta lower than the baby as blood may drain from the baby back into the placenta
- If you wish you may tie something around the umbilical cord a few centermeters away from the baby and from the placenta. But do not cut it
- If the baby begins to come out feet first it is a complication but there is nothing you can do. Instruct the mother not to push. Do not try to push the baby back in. Simply support it any way it comes out