An injury to the head or the brain. Literally bleeding in the brain or the area around the brain.
Any impact, direct or indirect, to the head. May be associated with a spinal injury.
- Mechanism of injury
- Pain or numbness
- Bleeding, swelling, or bruising
- Loss of memory
- Ringing in the ears
- Nausea or vomiting
- Make sure the person doesn’t move
- Hold them still if you need to and explain to them that they may have a serious injury and should not move
- Activate the EMS right away
- If they are unconscious to your CPR steps but open the airway with a modified jaw thrusts, as opposed to a head tilt