An injury to the muscles, bones, or nerves associated with the spine.
Any impact, direct or indirect, to these body parts. Very common in vehicle accidents, diving in shallow water, cycling accidents, sport accidents such as hockey and football, etc.
- Mechanism of injury (how it occurred)
- Pain, numbness, or paralysis
- Bleeding, swelling, or bruising around the head, ears, or nose
- Make sure the person doesn’t move
- Hold them still. You need to and explain to them that they may have a serious injury and should not move
- Activate the EMS right away
- If they are unconscious to your CPR steps. Airway and breathing take priority